Friday, September 27, 2024

 Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven. Matthew 18:21-22

 Do you ever struggle with certain sins? They seem to draw you away like a kid in a candy store and you find resistance short of impossible. Once the sin is committed, guilt follows and you begin to question God’s forgiveness.

 In today’s verses, Peter asks Jesus how often he should forgive someone who sinned against him, Jesus’ reply was 70 times 7. If you do the math, that seems like a lot of forgiveness, but that is exactly how God feels towards you, His creation. From the moment man was created, and throughout the generations until now, He knew no one was capable of living a sinless life. He had to make a way to bridge that gap, that’s when Jesus Christ came to earth to bare the sins of mankind.

 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. Romans 7:15

 Even Paul, one of God’s greatest apostles, who spread the gospel to the Gentiles, struggled with repeated sin. Satan will be quick to make you think you are the only one who struggles with certain sins, with the hopes of alienating you from God’s forgiveness. I can assure you; you are not alone in your struggles with sin, and yet the blood of Jesus Christ is available for all of His followers who accept and receive His free gift of forgiveness. Mind you, His willingness to forgive doesn’t give you permission to continually live in purposeful sin. He provides a way out of sin if you are willing to utilize the help of His Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 10:13).

 The next time you struggle to understand how Jesus could forgive you again and again, let Matthew 18:21-22 remind you of His unlimited ability to forgive.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment