Thursday, July 25, 2024

 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 2 Timothy 4:7

 This morning, the Apostle Paul came to mind. Of his 66 years of life, the last 35 were spent in ministry, sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ to both Jews and Gentiles. He took 5 evangelic journeys to spread the gospel in 50 plus cities, trained up other evangelist and preachers, and wrote 14 books in the bible. But his life wasn’t always easy. During his journeys he was shipwrecked, beaten on multiple occasions, survived a stoning, and spent the last 5 years of his life in a prison for preaching the gospel, only to be executed.

 But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that the message might be preached fully through me, and that all the Gentiles might hear.  2 Timothy 4:17

 Looking back over my 30 plus year career as a park ranger and supervisor, I recall many times when I endured difficult moments: dealing with angry visitors, pulling drowning victims from the lake, handling employee issues, and just the stress of a busy career that often kept me up at night. What kept me going? Jesus Christ! Just like Paul, we both looked to Jesus for strength as we faced the trials and tribulations, fulfilling our purpose in life.  Of course, Paul endured so much more than I ever did, but each one of us (you included), undergoes certain pressures that strengthen our faith so we can continue our purpose, no matter what challenges we face.

 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing. 2 Timothy 4:8

 As I enjoy the blessings of retirement, I think of Paul’s retirement (reward) is in Heaven, and he is certainly rejoicing on the streets of gold, in the presence of God! That Day is also held on God’s calendar for me and you. Whatever you face in this life, put your trust in Jesus Christ for strength to navigate the turbulent times, and never give up! Your reward will be worth all the pain and struggles you endured over your lifetime! God bless!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment