Monday, January 9, 2023

 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid.” Matthew 14:27

 

No doubt we are living in troubled times. The Covid pandemic showed the world just how vulnerable we are to our health, food supply and ability of government to control human behavior. Even today, we are experiencing the aftershocks of this event and other tragedies across the globe. All of this combined has left people feeling fearful about society and themselves.

 

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

 

Fear focusses our attention on ourselves and on things we do not need to consider. It fills our minds with hypothetical situations that all end in defeat and ruin. Eventually, it utterly consumes us. This is why we cannot shrink back in obeying God and using the gifts He has given us because He is ultimately in control of our futures, and we are never victims of our circumstances.

 

For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” Romans 8:15

 

Satan uses fear as a tool to paralyze God’s children. Fear takes focus off our trust in God’s power and ability to protect His children. If you live in fear, it’s time to turn your focus off of it and onto God. He made a way to break those chains of bondage of fear by sending His Son, Jesus Christ, to earth and defeat death, once and for all. Pray something like this:

 

Dear Lord. There are things in my life and this world that are beyond my control that cause me anxiety and fear. Please help me turn my focus away from those things and onto You, the author the perfector of my faith. I know you have my life in your hands and I trust you to guide me each day, knowing that You are in me, and greater than he who is in the world. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment