Saturday, September 16, 2023

 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: as I have loved you, that you also love one another. John 13:34

 God has been working in me regarding my attitude towards a certain group of people. After years of discouraging behavior and treatment towards me, I hardened my heart for them and it’s caused me to be negative in the back of my mind, although I’ve always tried to smile and show kindness. This morning, at 3:45 AM, God woke me to remind me that if I am to be his disciple I must have love for one another, just as He’s shown me. But there is one important element needed to fulfill God’s commandment to love.

 But as you abound in everything – in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in all diligence, and in your love for us – see that you abound in this grace also.  2 Corinthians 8:7

 GRACE! Grace is the foundation of love, and without it you’ll never be able to have compassion on those you despise. Jesus Christ is the perfect example of grace and mercy. Even while dying on the cross He begged His Father in Heaven to forgive those who put Him there. You might be thinking to yourself: But you don’t know the pain they’ve cause me. Time and time again I’ve suffered through their treatment towards me and today I have built up these walls that protect my heart. 

Friend, those “walls of protection” are really what is holding in the grace and love of God He’s called you to show others. Those walls are meant to protect you, but they also hold you prisoner to your fears of being hurt again.

 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. 1 John 4:18

 Some people will always have it out for you and treat you poorly. Why continue to be in torment over their treatment towards you? As a child of God, you have overcome the world (You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world 1 John 4:4). The world needs to see the love of Jesus Christ, so they can experience the freedom He’s given you. Don’t let their evilness hinder your ability to love them back. Through God’s Holy Spirit, He will empower you to find grace for the vilest people in your life. Ask God to forgive your attitude towards them and to have the strength to let down those walls so you can show them what the love of Christ looks like, living through you! Who needs your grace and love today?

No comments:

Post a Comment